Thursday, December 20, 2012

Snow Day in the Little Apple, and Gifts for Students

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!  We currently have about 6 inches of the white stuff on the ground, and the skies are gray and filled with fat, fast-moving flakes.  We have a blizzard warning people.  And you might know what that means.................snow day!  They even called it last night - which is a rare occurence. The powers that be usually wait until the morning of, in case it's a hoax.  :)

Snowblowing - Round 1
I had to do some quick planning on Wednesday - we are still in school this week, and we had been working on a gift for the parents (which I will post this weekend).  The gift project involved painting, and time was needed in between layers for drying.  So, some of them are done, but there are minor details and wrapping that still have to be taken care of tomorrow.  Geez - I hope the blizzard works its way on out of here so we can finish things tomorrow before the break.
 
This morning I was able to put the students' gifts together. Right before school started I happened upon a great deal at Office Depot - the white plastic pencil boxes were on sale for 1cent - that's right - a penny!  So of course I scooped up 28 of them for my third graders.  I had some polka dot duct tape I had purchased at JoAnn's for less than a dollar, and then added a label with their names written in cursive.  Inside the pencil box I put some candy, and a $5 gift certificate from Scholastic that was sent for free in the most recent book order.  I am also giving them a Christmas joke book obtained with Scholastic points. 
 
What are you giving your students? 


2 comments:

  1. Jealous over your snow day! It's been a while since we have seen snow. Loved your gift for your students. I got mine a crayon bank at the dollar tree and put their name on them. I also added a few coins in them. They thought they were rich with a quarter and a a few pennies. Hope you are having a wonderful holiday. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Kristy and Misty
    Teachingtimes2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kristy! A crayon bank sounds like a cute idea. I tape coins to my students' valentines and they think it is the greatest too! Hope you are having a nice holiday week.
      Jane

      Delete