Saturday, September 7, 2013

Five for Fraturday - Book Recommendation Sheet Freebie

Hi -
 
I'm squeaking in a post before it turns to Frunday!
It's been a busy first week, but I'm glad to be in the swing of things.
I have a great group of 24 third graders!
I'm happy to again be joining Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday linky.
 1.
One of my traditional first day activities is something I call a line transformation.  When I was a Gifted and Talented Resource Teacher I was trained in a creative and critical thinking skills program called Talents Unlimited.
One of the lessons in this program involves turning a line into something no one else would think of.
I love seeing the cool ideas students come up with.
The original line in these is a bit darker than the rest.
 

 
2.
I have a book exchange during the first week of school.
In my back to school letter I ask the students to bring in up to 3 books that they have finished reading to swap with other students.
One of my new third graders said that it was just like trading Pokemon Cards!
 
3.
We started working on our calendar and math focus wall.
The kids are loving having to figure out the number quizzes on my calendar cards.
The calendar cards and corners shown in the picture are in my TpT and TN stores.
 
4.
The students completed a reading inventory during the beginning of the week.
They were asked about how many books they had read this summer, as well as about their favorite genre of books and favorite titles.
I only had one student that said she hadn't read any books in the summer.
 
5.
We used the information from the Reading Inventory to help create a Recommended Reads bulletin board.
The students searched for the book cover of one of their favorite books on the computer while we were in the lab, then copied and pasted it into a Word Document.
Once we were back in the room they glued the cover and their name onto a sheet of paper.
We brainstormed a list of reasons why someone might like to read their favorite books, and the students completed the sheets.

If you'd like to do this activity with your students, feel free to use the sheet that can be found here.
 
I am also part of a huge giveaway you may want to check out!
Click this link to take a gander at the giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment