Sunday, August 19, 2012

Storia App, and You Know It's School When...

You may have figured out that I love a good linky party, and today is no exception!  I am joining Jeannie at Kindergarten Lifestyle to reveal what life is like as school starts.
Yes, I was awake in the wee hours of the morning last night, and I don't even start school until August 27th.  I haven't spent much time at school, and it suddenly hit me how much I have to do.  I actually got up around 4 AM and went to the laptop to record some things that were buzzing through my mind.  Luckily I was able to get a couple of hours of sleep in after those thoughts were off my chest.

I love it when my former students drop by on Back-to-School night.  They are quick to offer a hug, and it just warms my heart.  And it's even nice to see the ones who gave you trouble, because you know they're someones else's headache now - bless their heart.

Now - I wanted to share a great App I found recently. It's called Storia, and it's put out by Scholastic.  Books are downloaded to this App, and you can set up a list of books for each child in your class to read.  I plan to use it during "Read to Self" time, and students will take turn using the iPad.  You can assign books to student's bookshelves that match their reading level.
I got 10 books for free at the beginning, and I think you can order books to add with the points you earn through student book orders.

After the students have read, a report is available to the teacher about how many minutes the child read, and if they used the included dictionary.
Some of the books even include read and respond activities that the students complete.  This was from one of my free books - it's a lot like the book called Apple Fractions, but it's also interactive.
I think my students will love this App!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the Scholastic app! Sounds awesome. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Pretzel! :) Thanks for stopping by and becoming a follower!

      Jane

      Delete