Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday Made It - Choice and CCSS Math Boards

Happy Summer Monday! Hope you all enjoyed a nice Father's Day with family.  We took my dad out for a great brunch.  It was a beautiful day here so we also got some golf in afterwards.
 
I wanted to share two items for my first summer Monday Made It. 
 
First, I created a poster from an Instaprint board to give my students some choices on what to do when they finish work. Because we use the workshop model for reading and writing, there doesn't seem to be as much "when you're done time", but the chart still comes in handy when the need arises.
It may be hard to see the board in this pic, but the choices are:
1. Read a book
2. Continue working on a story your are writing (in the pic on the top left)
3. Sort this week's spelling words ( we use Words Their Way)
4. Do the Brain Quest cards (in the pic on the top right) or the Quiz Bowl cards (I have a fish bowl with trivia type cards in them)
5. Read the word cards at the Book Club table (I keep vocabulary cards from stories out)
6. Make super sentences with the magnetic letters (in the pic on lower right - kids love this!)
7. Do something from the Challenge Box (See this post for more info)
 
Second, I completed a set of CCSS aligned interactive Math Boards for Math Focus Walls.

These boards are an easy way to review tested math concepts at the beginning of your math lessons.  Students write responses to problems on the boards that can be changed daily. My third graders used small spiral notebooks, small whiteboards, and even iPads or devices to record answers.  A student leader guides the students through the exercises, which take about 10 minutes to complete.
 
Here are samples of the boards.
 
 
Check out my TpT page for more information. 
 
Also check out Tara's site for more Monday Made-Its!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment