Friday, July 5, 2013

Friday Freebie - Back to School Read Aloud, and Favorite Pins Friday

Happy Fifth of July!
Hope you all had an enjoyable holiday and are ready to be back checking out the blogs.
 I am honored to be guest blogging today over at Tonya's Treats for Teachers as a part of her
 Friday Freebie weekly event.
 Are you looking for the perfect back-to-school read aloud?  Well look no further, because School Days According to Humphrey is that book!
I love all kinds of literature, and stumbled across the Humphrey series of books by Betty Birney while visiting Barnes & Noble about a year ago.
The main character (Humphrey, the hamster) struggles with adjusting to new classmates at the beginning of the school year. The new classmates represent a wide variety of personalities, just like your average present day classroom.
 I created a PowerPoint presentation to introduce each of the chapters in this book, and it can be yours for free at my TpT store.  I posted this new item to my store on Monday, and within 24 hours it had been awarded a FOUR rating!
 
The PowerPoint slides in this product introduce each chapter of this inviting book, as well as Humphrey's Rules for School. Also included is a reflection booklet for students to respond to each chapter in the book.
 
I have projected the slides from the PowerPoint on my Interactive WhiteBoard as I read the chapters aloud.  The book could also be used for small group guided reading activities.
Betty Birney, the author, has given permission to use photos from her teacher-friendly website (
http://www.bettybirney.com) in the PowerPoint.

The reflection booklet supports CCSS for ELA. Additionally, the concepts of cooperation and responsibility presented in this book support PBIS strategies. 
I hope you are able to use this in your classroom in the coming year!
Check out Tonya 's blog for more Friday Freebies and info about how you could guest blog on her site.
 
Next, I joining First Grade Parade for a Favorite Pins Friday Linky.
 
A pin I found really helpful this week was from Creative Lesson Cafe.
She posted a list of Kid Friendly Fonts:
I have already used one in a project I am working on.  She has links to all the sources for these fonts!
 
The other cool item I pinned is from the Today Show's Deal and Steals. 
I thought these pillows were so cute, and they are still on sale for $24.99.
Use the code TODAYPILLOW to get into their site, and click here to get the discount on the pillows.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my first graders loved, loved, loved Humphrey! Be careful because then they began asking for their own Humphrey. But ~ really I think it was their favorite read aloud all year.
    Maria
    First Grade Carousel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the Humphrey read aloud suggestion and the freebie! So glad I stopped by to read your post...

    Have a great weekend--
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Humphrey books--very excited to check this out! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog through the linky! Always great to find new friends!

    Jess
    From Blood to Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Summer According to Humphrey and I can't wait to go out and purchase this one. It's perfect for back to school. I found you on the Teacher Blog Roundup and am so glad I did because your blog is adorable! Thanks so much for sharing this freebie!

    ReplyDelete