Friday, April 19, 2013

Five For Friday - Earth Day, Etc.

So glad it's Friday - it was one of those days.  We couldn't get in the computer lab because of testing, the weather is cold, blustery and snowy (!), and a student got sick in the midst of all the goings on in my classroom this afternoon.
I'm happy to once again join Kacey at Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five For Friday.
 
1. My heart goes out to those in Boston who were affected by the tragic events on Monday.  It's been heartwarming to watch what has happened to lead to the capture today.  Boston - we all support you, and you make us proud to be Americans.
 
2. Last weekend I went to Madison to spend the weekend with two of my good friends.  We shopped, ate, drank, talked about school and life, and saw the movie "42" which was excellent. While shopping we stopped at a yummy cupcake shop.
 
3. All week my students read and discussed books about the Titanic since the 101st anniversary of it's sinking was a few days ago.  We watched this great video from history.com to whet our appetites about this historical event:
 
We also did activities from a great unit that I purchased on TPT from Joy in the Journey.  You can find this creative and engaging unit here.  Unfortunately I did not get any pictures.
 
4. We had our Spring concert on Thursday night.  It made for a long day but it was fun to see the students dressed up in their best duds.
 
5. Today we started our celebration of Earth Day by making Earth bracelets.  Each bead represents one aspect of our Earth.
Blue - water, clear - air, green - plants, brown - land, black - night, white - day, yellow - sun, blue string - Earth
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane! I love the Earth Day bracelets and the pics of the yummy cupcakes! I am a sucker for those shops:) To answer your question about my classroom jobs, no, not everyone has a job every week. There are quite a few jobs though and some last two weeks and others are changed weekly. I just started these new jobs a little over a month ago and so far it has been going great. If you click on my link below, it will take you to a more detailed post about it:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper
    P.S.
    Did you know that you are a "no reply blogger"? I only ask because I didn't know I was until someone told me. I fixed it once and this week it went back for some reason and I had to fix it again!

    ReplyDelete