It's time to join Holly and other innovative bloggers for Tried It Tuesday!
This past week my class was lucky enough to have a Skype session with 6 scientists from ExxonMobil!
In 2012 I attended the Mickelson/ExxonMobil Teachers Academy, and as a result of that experience my class has been able to Skype with a group of scientists each year.
The kids are so excited to ask their questions - it really is an enlightening experience for them!
|We were given bios of the scientists beforehand, and brainstormed questions for them.|
They were given the list of questions two days before, and called students up to the camera/microphone to ask their submitted questions.
|The students were nervous and excited to be able to talk to real live scientists!|
I created an iMovie review of our and Skype and posted it on YouTube.
You can view it by clicking here.
Last week I was honored to be nominated by my sweet friend Alison at Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin' for the Sunshine Award.
The rules of the Sunshine Blogger Award are:
1. Post 11 random facts about yourself
2. Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you
3. Nominate 11 bloggers you think bring sunshine to the world
4. Make up 11 questions for your nominations to answer.
Eleven facts about me:
1. I eat gumdrops everyday.
2. I like to golf!
3. I can't miss the shows Survivor, Amazing Race, Scandal, and Nashville.
4. I have taught in 4 different rooms in my school, and last year returned to the room I started in, although at a different level.
5. I bring my dog to school 2-3 times a year. My students love it!
6. I have been to the Jimmy Fallon show twice - love him!
7. I was able to arrange a visit by one of our senators to our school.
8. My grandma loved teaching third grade, and I do, too!
9. Most of my family lives at least two hours away from me. :(
10. I am not a morning person.
11. I like the Big Apple as much as the Little Apple.
Eleven questions from Alison:
1) How long have you been teachin' and what is your absolute favorite grade to teach? (I know that's two questions, but they go together) I have been teaching over 20 years, and I have loved every grade I’ve taught. Right now I teach third, and love this age group!
2) If you had an opportunity to change one county, state, or national law about teachin', would you change anything? Wow- great question! We’ve had some major change in education laws here in WI during the past few years. I would repeal the cap on our salaries which was put in place a few years ago.
3) Have you ever thought about teachin' abroad? If so, where? No – I have visited Europe and loved it, but never really thought I would want to teach there.I couldn’t be away from home that long.
4) If you could go on a shoppin' spree for one day and buy anything you wanted(money would be no object), what would you buy? Right now I would buy new furniture for my new house! I’m moving in a month!
5) What is your favorite "me time" activity to do? I love getting pedicures!
6) What is one food that you could eat every single day and not get sick of? Chocolate!!
7) What is your all time favorite children's book title and why should I read this book? I have so many favorites, but one I found in college was called “Sometimes I Worry” – it lets kids know they’re not alone in worries they have, and it explains this in a humorous way.
8) What is one app or piece of technology that you could not live without? I cannot live without my laptop. It does everything!
9) If you were in charge of your school for one day, what would you plan for that day? I would plan for a little music, a little gym, and a little art – all related to academic topics. All day long!
10) What made you decide to start bloggin'? I wanted to share ideas and connect with other dedicated teachers. I have really loved the invigorating tone of the blogging world!
11) Where should I go on vacation and what should I do there? I love San Diego! Of course go to the beach, but also hit the Seaport Village shops right near the ocean.
Eleven bloggers I nominate for this award:
Eleven questions for these bloggers:
1. What's your favorite snack food?
2. What was your favorite class in college?
3.Is anyone else in your family a teacher?
4. Would you change the length of the school day if you could? How?
5. Do you eat lunch in the teacher's lounge or somewhere else?
6. What's your favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning?
7. Do you have a nickname?
8. What's the last thing you bought at a store?
9. Have you ever met a celebrity? Who?
10. Would you change your birthday month? If so, to what?
11. What is the most important tip you would provide to others who blog?